Friends of Anderson Public Library (FAPL)
Friends of Anderson Public Library (FAPL) is a nonprofit organization independent of the Anderson Public Library, supported by the community and staffed by volunteers. In addition to the book sales held from April through October, the FAPL works throughout the year to organize your donations. The profits from those sales are used in various projects throughout the community.
Friends of Anderson Public Library…
- Used its funds to purchase the equipment in the APL Memory Lab
- Awards $4,000-$6,000 per year in grants to Anderson County teachers
- Provides funds to school librarians to distribute to students for purchasing personal books at school book fairs
- Awards one or two $1,000 Saundra Sutherland Memorial Scholarships each year to graduates from Anderson County High School
- Gives a donation each year to the APL Summer Reading Program
All these contributions are funded by your generous donations of books and your patronage of FAPL Book Sales
FAPL Meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the FAPL building located behind the Anderson Public Library.
Community members are always welcome and encouraged to attend. FAPL is an excellent way to support Anderson County!
Friends Book Sales occur on select Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Friends Bookstore behind the library.
Upcoming Book Sale Dates
The Friends of Anderson Public Library welcomes donations! Please help the Library staff and our FAPL volunteers by observing the following guidelines.
We gratefully accept:
• Hardcover and paperback books in good condition
• Games and puzzles in good condition
Donations should be deposited in the book drop next to the FAPL building.
If you would like a receipt for tax purposes, count the materials you are donating. Leave a note in the bags/boxes with your name, address, and number and type (paperbacks, hardbacks) that you are donating. We will mail you a receipt. We do not determine the value of your donation, but can provide you a receipt for the number of items donated.
Before you donate a book, hold on to the spine and shake gently. Often people leave things in books and forget about them, such as receipts with banking numbers, photographs, even cash.
If you have a large donation that requires special handling, please call (502) 545-2744 to arrange a drop-off.
Donations are accepted at all times throughout the year.
We cannot accept:
• Damaged, yellowed, soiled, musty or moldy books
• Clearly outdated materials
• Condensed books (e.g. Reader’s Digest books)
• Encyclopedias or textbooks
• Computer games
• VHS tapes
• Vinyl records
Note to donors: FAPL cannot guarantee that your donated books will be a part of our regular sales. Some books are not marketable to our customers and we reserve the right to place those books with other organizations in need, such as Senior Citizens groups, Little Free Libraries, and other philanthropic or community based affiliations.